Current:Home > StocksNYC to limit shelter stay for asylum-seekers with children -Capitatum
NYC to limit shelter stay for asylum-seekers with children
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:02:10
New York City officials are limiting the time asylum-seekers with children can spend in the city's shelter system.
Starting next week, city officials will begin notifying some families that they have 60 days to find alternative housing. Last month, NYC Mayor Eric Adams' administration announced it would be handing out 30-day notices for adult migrants without children.
The move to restrict the amount of time in the shelter system comes as the city continues to grapple with a large number of asylum-seekers coming to the city since spring of last year. Over 126,000 asylum-seekers have moved through the shelter system so far since Spring 2022.
"For over a year, New York City has led the response to this national crisis, but significant additional resources, coordination, and support are needed from all levels of government. With over 64,100 asylum seekers still in the city's care, and thousands more migrants arriving every week, expanding this policy to all asylum-seekers in our care is the only way to help migrants take the next steps on their journeys," Mayor Adams said in a statement Monday.
The mayor's office said it would pair the notices with "intensified case work" to help asylum-seekers figure out their next steps. A spokesperson for the mayor's office told ABC News that if someone fails to secure housing by the deadline, they'll need to return to the city's intake center and seek a new placement.
Some advocates believe issuing the notices is a way for the Adams administration to limit its obligation's under the city's "right-to-shelter" laws which require the city to provide shelter for anyone in need. The city has asked a court to consider allowing the city to consider allowing it relinquish some of those obligations if it doesn't have "the resources and capacity to establish and maintain sufficient shelter sites, staffing, and security to provide safe and appropriate shelter," according to court filings.
MORE: New York's right-to-shelter policy faces scrutiny amid migrant crisis
On Monday, the administration announced it will open a temporary shelter at Floyd Bennett Field in the coming weeks that will be serve approximately 500 families in a "semi-congregate setting" with privacy dividers and locks.
"It's outrageous the way the Adams administration continues to go out of its way to gut New York City's right-to-shelter protections. This policy ensures that all New Yorkers, no matter when they arrived here, can maintain a roof over their heads while they stabilize their lives and get on the road to self-sufficiency," Murad Awawdeh, the executive director of the New York Immigration Coalition, said in part in a statement.
MORE: NYC opening humanitarian relief centers for asylum-seekers, mayor announces
He added, "Now, Mayor Adams is putting children in danger by forcing some asylum seeking families to stay in congregate settings as well as mandating families re-apply for shelter after 60 days, a move that creates unnecessary bureaucratic hurdles for people who are already struggling."
The spokesperson for the mayor's office told ABC News they hoped the city could continue housing migrants without forcing families with children on to the streets and reiterated the administration's call for more support from the state and federal governments.
veryGood! (14)
Related
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Music Review: Dua Lipa’s ‘Radical Optimism’ is controlled dance pop
- Bryan Kohberger's lawyer claims prosecution has withheld the audio of key video evidence in Idaho murders case
- In a first, an orangutan is seen using a medicinal plant to treat injury
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Florida clarifies exceptions to 6-week abortion ban after it takes effect
- Investing guru Warren Buffett draws thousands, but Charlie Munger’s zingers will be missed
- Judge in Trump’s hush money case clarifies gag order doesn’t prevent ex-president from testifying
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Russell Specialty Books has everything you'd want in a bookstore, even two pet beagles
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Lewis Hamilton shares goal of winning eighth F1 title with local kids at Miami Grand Prix
- 'You can't be gentle in comedy': Jerry Seinfeld on 'Unfrosted,' his Netflix Pop-Tart movie
- Live updates: NYPD says officer fired gun on Columbia campus; NYU, New School protests cleared
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen: Protecting democracy is vital to safeguard strong economy
- Here are the job candidates that employers are searching for most
- Uncomfortable Conversations: Being a bridesmaid is expensive. Can or should you say no?
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Safety lapses contributed to patient assaults at Oregon State Hospital, federal report says
Kyle Richards Drops Mauricio Umansky's Last Name From Her Instagram Amid Separation
Prince William and Kate share new photo of Princess Charlotte to mark her 9th birthday
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
An AI-powered fighter jet took the Air Force’s leader for a historic ride. What that means for war
Britney Spears' divorce nears an end 8 months after Sam Asghari filed to dissolve marriage
Alaska judge grants limited stay in correspondence school allotments decision